Monday, September 29, 2008

Goodbye Desk Job; Hello Yoga Mat! - Transitioning to a Career Teaching Yoga

Namaskar yogis and yoginis! My name is Felicity Bell and I am a yoga instructor in New York. Several months ago I decided to leave my traditional (and comfortably lucrative) desk job to pursue my life's dharma--sharing the joy and healing power of the divine science of yoga. Before embarking on this life transition, I knew very little about the business of yoga and wasn't able to procure many specifics from friends, teachers, or the internet though I knew it would be a financially challenging endeavor.

When I first began my teacher training in the spring of 2007, I didn't expect to pursue yoga instruction full-time because of the financial and health insurance implications. Not only is health insurance wildly expensive for individuals operating outside the realm of conventional employment, but I have a pre-existing condition which makes me particularly undesirable to health insurance providers. However, the universe started sending me clear messages when I learned that my boyfriend's new employer offers health insurance for domestic partners. We signed up right away and with one of the two biggest obstacles out of the way, I began to really consider life beyond my cube. My job was challenging and I loved learning from and sharing energy with my brilliant and kindhearted coworkers. Still, the stresses that came along with the job, including long and unpredictable hours, constantly detracted my attention from my highest priorities: the wellness of my personal and family life.

In March 2008, I made the big leap and resigned with only a faint idea of how exactly I would make ends meet as a burgeoning yoga teacher. These past few months have absolutely flown by and the lessons I've learned about the business of yoga are truly invaluable. I plan on sharing these lessons with you as well as the lessons I have yet to learn as time passes and I expand my offerings. I can't encourage you enough to please share your comments and stories to enrich this blog's content, providing the best insight possible for current or potential yoga teachers.

In love and light, Felicity

1 comment:

Darling Nicki said...

Hi Felicity!
My name is Nicki and I am getting certified this fall to teach yoga. I was just wondering how hard it was for you to step into the world of teaching from just practicing and if finding a job for a new teacher is very difficult?
I enjoy reading your blog, thank you!